The deadline to apply for the Fall 2017 Internship has passed.
Position Title: Program and Digital Media Intern
Department/Team: Programs and Publications
Period: August through December 2017
Location: Washington, DC
About the Departments:
Resident scholars produce long and short-term strategic papers on issues of critical importance to the Gulf states, their role in the region, and their relationship with the United States. The focus is on:
- Economic, trade, and business issues
- Politics and security, both domestic and regional
- Sociopolitical, socioeconomic, and cultural trends and developments
Working closely with the Senior Resident Scholars, Programs and Publications devises effective public outreach designed to expose Washington’s community of policymakers and thinkers to the nuances of the Gulf region, its political and economic diversity, and the breadth and richness of its culture. The strategic focus is public programming, communication planning, external and media relations, and social media engagement.
The Internship Program at the Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington provides talented students and recent graduates with a three-month (or longer) unpaid training opportunity designed to encourage professional and personal development. We encourage out-of-the-box thinking and value fresh perspectives. AGSIW will provide interns with a transportation stipend for the duration of the internship.
Interns will be responsible for contacting embassies, relevant U.S. and foreign government departments, partner NGOs, universities, and other groups in the Middle East and United States to promote AGSIW’s events and activities.
Audio/Visual and Design
Interns with design backgrounds may assist in the creation of program books and fliers for AGSIW events, as well as content for AGSIW’s website.
Interns will track registration, set up for events, check registrants in, take photos, and handle Q&A. Interns will have ample opportunities to interact with event speakers during these events.
Maintain Website and Social Media
Interns are responsible for keeping dynamic content related to the programs and publications departments up to date on the AGSIW website. Interns will also add event photos and post scholar articles to AGSIW’s social media accounts and assist in compiling analytics data.
Interns will participate in a variety of research projects to inform upcoming policy events, and content research to be featured on AGSIW’s website. Interns will also occasionally conduct research on key organizational contacts, as well as grant research.
Other tasks as necessary.
- Student enrolled in a relevant graduate or undergraduate degree program or a recent graduate (if you are planning to continue your education within the next six months);
- Background and interest in international relations and the Middle East or the Arab states of the Gulf;
- Strong writing skills, excellent communication abilities, and attention to detail;
- Must be fluent in English. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable but not required;
- The ability and drive to perform in a fast-paced international environment;
- PC and MAC literate (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign); Internet-research savvy;
- Team player, highly motivated, flexible, and able to efficiently handle multiple tasks.
If you are interested in an internship opportunity with AGSIW, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to Tyler Rousselle: firstname.lastname@example.org.
AGSIW is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law. No phone calls please.